As research into child sexual abuse grows, so does the availability of useful information, data and insight. This can come from sources like recent reports published by the Centre of Expertise on Child Sexual Abuse and the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.
The findings of publications like these are not just useful for anyone helping survivors directly; they can also help guide commissioners in their decisions about service provision. Here, we have created links to key organisations and publications, and we will update this page when new material is made available.
I wanted to say how great I think the work is and what fantastic progress is being made. I do read the papers and use them in discussions with partners and commissioners – just wanted you to know that.
Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse
The IICSA was set up because of serious concerns that some organisations had failed and were continuing to fail to protect children from sexual abuse. It aims to address issues that have persisted despite previous enquiries and attempts at reform.
- About IICSA and Truth project
- IICSA reports
- IICSA research
- The impacts of child sexual abuse: A rapid evidence assessment
- Interim Report of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse
- Child Migration Programme, Investigation Report
- The Internet and Child Sexual Abuse
- Stakeholder Engagement Toolkit
- Victim and Survivor Voices from the Truth Project
- The Truth Project Youtube Channel
Centre of Expertise on Child Sexual Abuse
The Centre of Expertise on Child Sexual Abuse has been established to help bring about significant and system-wide change in how child sexual abuse is responded to locally and nationally.
- Key messages from research on child sexual abuse
- Office of National Statistics (ONS) 2020
- Measuring the scale and changing nature of child sexual abuse – Analysis of 2017/18 official and agency data
- Improving the understanding of the scale and nature of child sexual abuse – Briefing
- Research and Publications 2016-2018
- Local commissioning of services addressing child sexual abuse and exploitation in England: A rapid review incorporating findings from five locations – Full Report / Briefing
- Responding to child sexual abuse and exploitation in the night-time economy – Full report / Briefing
- What research tells us and what agencies know
- Characteristics and experiences of children and young people attending Saint Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre, Greater Manchester: A review of 968 case files
Agenda, Alliance for Women & Girls at Risk
Agenda exists to ensure that women and girls at risk of abuse, poverty, poor mental health, addiction and homelessness get the support and protection they need.
- Joining the dots: the combined burden of violence, abuse and poverty in the lives of women
- Hidden Hurt. Violence, abuse and disadvantage in the lives of women – Full Report / Executive Summary
- Breaking Down the Barriers. Findings of the National Commission on Domestic and Sexual Violence and Multiple Disadvantage – Full Report / Executive Summary
- Women in Crisis: How women and girls are being failed by the Mental Health Act
The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)
The NSPCC seeks to protect children, prevent abuse and make child abuse a thing of the past.
- Victims Strategy – HM Government (2018)
- Ending Violence against Women and Girls Strategy: 2016 to 2020 – HM Government (2016)
- Tackling the Health and Mental Health Effects of Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse – Home Office (2006)
- The Report of the Scottish Executive Short-Life Working Group on the care needs of people who have survived childhood sexual abuse – Scottish Government
- Survivor Scotland – Strategic Outcomes and Priorities 2015-2017 – Scottish Government (2015)
- Numbing The Pain: Survivors’ voices of childhood sexual abuse and addiction – Report by One in Four (2019)
- Survivors’ Voices: Breaking the silence on living with the impact of child sexual abuse in the family environment – Report / Summary analysis / Supplementary narratives – One in Four (2015)
- Deflection, denial and disbelief: social and political discourses about child sexual abuse and their influence on institutional responses – A rapid evidence assessment – Summary report by CWASU (2018)
- Mapping therapeutic services for sexual abuse and exploitation in the UK – Prepared for the National Society for the Prevent of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) (2015)
- Rapid evidence assessments of interventions addressing child sexual exploitation – Barnardos (2017)
- Understanding the sexual exploitation of boys and young men in the UK An exploratory study – NatCen (2014)
- Childhood Sexual Abuse (Adult Survivors): What health workers need to know about gender-based violence – NHS Scotland (2009)
- Child Sexual Exploitation : Improving Recognition & Response in Mental Health Settings – Academy of Royal Colleges Report (2016)
- Developing peer support in the community: a toolkit – Mind
- The Power Threat Meaning Framework – The British Psychological Society (BPS)